Tuesday, October 14, 2008

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

St Margaret Mary (1)

Today, for classroom visitations, I talked about St. Margaret Mary Alacoque (Feast: Oct. 16). I talked about a reliquary I have that contains her 1st class relic.

Relic is  the body, a part of the body, or some personal memorial of a saint preserved as worthy of veneration. There are 3 classes of relics:

1st Class Relic: Body or part of the body of a saint (there is usually 1 st class relic inside the altar)

2nd Class Relic: Things that touched or used by a saint during the saint's life time

3rd Class Relic: Objects that touched by a 1st Class Relic

Today, I showed the students all 3 classes of relics...


This Reliquary has 3 Relics....

P1030154

The wood is special too (it was from the tree where Jesus appeared to St. Margaret)

P1030155

The 3 Relics are:

1st Class Relic of St. Margaret Mary in the middle.

2nd Class Relic of St. Francis de Sales on the left.

2nd Class Relic of St. Jane Francis de Chantal on the right. 

P1030157

P1030159

In the reliquary, St. Margaret Mary is referred to as "Blessed M. Alacoque". Since St. Margaret Mary was canonized in 1920, this reliquary must be over 88 years old. St. Margaret Mary belonged to the Visitation Nuns, a community founded by St. Francis de Sales & St. Jane Frances de Chantal.

image

image

I also showed the children a special 3rd Class Relic. This is a relic of St. Claude de la Colombiere. He was the spiritual director of St. Margaret Mary. The relic is a small piece from the shroud that wrapped the dead body of the saint.

P1030160P1030161 

 P1030162

image

All 4 Saints were from the 17th Century.

image

St. Margaret Mary is the apostle of the Sacred Heart. Heart is the symbol of love. Jesus loves us and gives Himself to us in Holy Communion. But many people are unthankful to Jesus. We should make up for the sin & ingratitude of men by reparation. One way to do reparation is the receiving Holy Communion on 1st Friday. Special graces are attached to this devotional practice (see the 12th promise below).

Here are the 12 Promises given by Jesus Himself to St. Margaret Mary for those who practice Devotion to the Sacred Heart:

1. I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.

2. I will give peace in their families.

3. I will console them in all their troubles.

4. They shall find in My Heart an assured refuge during life and especially at the hour of death.

5. I will pour abundant blessings on all their undertakings.

6. Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.

7. Tepid souls shall become fervent.

8. Fervent souls shall speedily rise to great perfection.

9. I will bless the homes in which the image of My Sacred Heart shall be exposed and honored.

10. I will give to priests the power to touch the most hardened hearts.

11. Those who propagate this devotion shall have their name written in My Heart, and it shall never be effaced.

12. I promise thee in the excess of the mercy of My Heart, that its all-powerful Love will grant to all those who shall receive Communion on the First Friday of Nine consecutive months the grace of final repentance; they shall not die under My displeasure, nor without receiving the Sacraments; My Heart shall be their assured refuge at that last hour.