Here are the main ideas of my Sunday Sermon:
Last week there was the announcement of the new Vatican department for renewed evangelization of areas subject to secularization.
There are 2 remedies to the lack of Christian enthusiasm in western society:
- We must start by having a clear idea of what it means to be a Christian.
- We must once again become God’s messengers to everyone around us.
We must start by having a clear idea of what it means to be a Christian.
- We carry the “marks” of Jesus. At the time of Paul, some masters branded their slaves with red-hot iron, as people do with cattle today. A run-away slave could thus be identified by that mark and be sent back to his master. In Baptism, we were marked forever as children of God and in Confirmation, we were marked forever as soldiers of Christ. But ours is not the mark of slavery, but the mark of freedom and spiritual childhood.
- As Christian, we must carry our cross daily (fulfilling our duties & keeping the Commandments). Freedom is not just doing whatever I want. In western society, many people did whatever they wanted and despised the Commandments, but they ended up becoming slaves of their own passions. The widespread problem of addictions is a good indication that people in society has the wrong notion of freedom.
- As Christian, we must pray. Some Christians from third world are scandalized by the lack of prayer of Christians in the first world. Our Lady, through her apparitions, gives us “prayer” (esp. the Rosary) as an important solution to the problems in our world today.
We must once again become God’s messengers to everyone around us.
- The best way to learn is to teach
- Faith is NOT just a private matter. In western society, people are too afraid to offend others, and thus not speaking up for the truth. But sharing the truth is an expression of love. We should share what is most precious and important in our lives with others.
- Jesus sent 12 apostles and 72 disciples:
- 12 tribes of Israel and 72 tribes or clans listed in Ch. 10 of Genesis (the complete list, as the Jews thought, of all the tribes living in the world at the time)
- 12 apostles represent the Clergy (Pope, Bishop & Priests), and 72 disciples represent all the faithful.
- Hence, all the members of the Church are called to share the Good News with all the world.
- Kind of messengers that the Lord wants us to be:
- to be determined--- “Salute no one on the road”
- not to put trust in human means--- “Carry no purse…”
- peaceful and love--- “Peace be to this house…!” ; sent them out in pairs.
- expect oppositions--- “lambs among wolves”
Grateful to baptize 2 baby boys (one on Saturday and one on Sunday). May God bless them and protect them all the days of their lives.