Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday Sermon & Baptism

Here are some ideas of my Sunday Sermon:

  • Today’s Readings give answers to the question—What must I do to have eternal salvation?
  • 1st Reading: Keep the Commandments.
    • The Commandments are not far from us, and God is always ready to help us with His grace; so, if we will, we can keep the Commandments.
  • 2nd Reading: Be united with Christ.
    • Some Colossians thought that they should worship spirits. Hence Paul corrected them by telling them Jesus Christ is above all creatures (including all spirits). All creatures are created by Him, for Him and in Him.
  • The response of Jesus in the Gospel fulfils both the 1st & 2nd Readings.
  • The lawyer asked Jesus 2 questions: “Master, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” “Who is my neighbor?”
  • Allegorical meaning of the parable of the Good Samaritan: “The man that fell among robbers, represents Adam and his posterity; Jerusalem, the state of peace and innocence, which man leaves by going down to Jericho, which means the moon, the state of trouble and sin: the robbers represent the devil, who stripped him of his supernatural gifts, and wounded him in his faculties: the priest and Levite represent the old law: the Samaritan, Christ; and the beast, his humanity. The inn means the Church; wine, the blood of Christ; oil, his mercy; whilst the host signifies S. Peter and his successors, the bishops and priests of the Church.” (Haydock’s Catholic Family Bible and Commentary)
  • In light of the parable, let us ask ourselves 3 questions:
    • Do I love all people, or do I only love those I like?
    • When I do good to others, am I expect to get something back from them in return?
    • Have I done the best to help others?

Today I had the great joy to baptize 3 lovely babies.

image

image

image

Last Sunday was the last time I said Chinese Mass @ Corpus Christi. After my “retirement”, I am using the extra time on Sunday afternoon for a Chinese Catechism class here at St. Patrick’s.

I invited the non-Catholics members of my prayer groups to learn about the Catholic Faith and to become Catholics. Some other Catholics and non-Catholics also come to learn about the Faith. I am very glad that we had a very good class this afternoon. Please pray for the success of this new class.

image

image